Thursday 19 February 2015

Oxford - Thomas Cranmer

You may recall in a previous post about Oxford we witnessed Nicholas Ridley and Hugh Latimer being burned at the stake for their religious convictions.  Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury, was also imprisoned in Oxford at the same time with a similar death sentance hanging over his head, and was forced to witness their deaths.  The pressure of this caused him to waver and recant from his convictions.  He signed about six documents denying his faith, repenting of his 'heresy' and pleading forgiveness from Queen Mary and the Pope.  Regardless of his apparent change of heart and  pleas he was still sentanced to die.


Martyrs' Memorial - Oxford
On Saturday 21 March 1556, St. Mary's Church  in Oxford became the site for his official public repentance before his death.

A carefully crafted speech had been written for Cranmer to deliver.    He was then called upon to
perform that now which you promised; namely, that you would openly make a true profession of your faith, that all men may understand thay you are catholic indeed. (Foxe, p. 323)
Cranmer then addresssed the congregation at length.  All seemed to be progressing nicely when suddenly he went off script.
And now I come to what troubleth my conscience more than anything that ever I did or said in my life, and that is, the setting abroad of a writing contrary to the truth, which now here I renounce and refuse, as written with my hand indeed, but contrary to what I thought in my heart, and written for fear of death, and to save my life, if it might be; all such papers which I have written or signed since my degradation I renounce as untrue.  And forasmuch as my hand hath offened, it shall first be punished, for when I come to the fire it shall be first burned.
And as for the Pope, I refuse him, with all his false doctrine, as Christ's enemy and as antichrist. (Foxe, p. 326)
He was dragged from the pulpit, taken to same spot where Ridley and Latimer died and was tied to a stake.

x marks the spot - Oxford
As the flames were lit beneath him Cranmer held out his right hand towards the fire. Since it was his right hand that had previously signed the documents to renounce his convictions he felt it appropriate that should burn first.  He declared:
This unworthy right hand!  Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Sources
Foxe, John.  Foxes' Book of Martyrs

No comments:

Post a Comment