Wednesday 14 December 2016

"Literary Links" - Samuel Johnson in Oxford

"Literary Links" is a series of posts celebrating Britain's wonderful links with great authors, dramatists and poets.



·         Samuel Johnson’s (1709-1784) student days at Pembroke College in Oxford were cut short due to a shortage of funds.  He said, “Ah, Sir, I was mad and violent… I was miserably poor and I thought to fight my way by my literature and my wit: so I disregarded all power and authority.”   He was devastated at having to leave, but found his life’s calling as a writer.  His most notable work was A Dictionary of the English Language (1755) - a massive undertaking which took him nine years.  It would be another 150 years before the Oxford English Dictionary was introduced to take its place. 

This is an excerpt from the tour Oxford’s Noble and Great Ones - Part 1  which explores around the southern part of Oxford.  The full tour ifound on www.obelisktours.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment